January Kinect Project – Update 2

So this week, I actually made some good progress and am close to reaching my goal for this month. After jumping from using processing, to using cinder, I learned a ton. The biggest challenge was the jump into cinder and C++ in general. What took me a few hours to come up with in processing, took 3 or 4 days in cinder since I don’t really know C++, haven’t touched cinder in over a year, upgraded xcode and had to learn my way around it and have come across a lot of other weird errors and stupid mistakes that I’ve been making.

Luckily, I have the author of cinder, Andrew Bell, now working with me at The Barbarian Group again and has been a good sport with answering my silly questions and helping me though some of the learning process. If he wasn’t around to help me out, I’d probably be another week behind where I want to be.

So as far as progress goes, here’s a sample of some screenshots from the processing and cinder experiments.

I’ve been able to come up with a good proof of concept that what I had in mind will work and I just need to tidy it up and make it look good so that I can video capture it and write up my learnings. I’ve realized that with this project, I still have more to do, but there’s enough that it can be another month’s worth of side project, so that’s what I plan on doing. But first, I need to read up more on c++ and get more familiar with cinder. So then next blog post about this project will be the last for the month and will summarize what I’ve learned and showcase the output for this stage of the overall project.

See:

Greg Kepler is an interactive developer at the Barbarian Group. He started as a design student graduating from RIT with a degree in New Media Design and Imaging in 2004 and fell in love with Flash. He worked for 4 years as a designer, developer, and interactive studio manager at Iomedia and moved on to the Barbarian Group in 2010 as an interactive developer where he tries to get his hands dirty with whatever technologies he can.