January Kinect Project – Results

February 3, 2012

My project for January 2012 is complete for now. The result is below:

The result is virtual pin art which takes the depth values from a kinect camera and translates them into a depth which is projected for each pin. This was put together using cinder and the kinect cinder block which is the freenect kinect library configured to work with cinder.

There were a few things that I learned, some of them super obvious, but will nonetheless help me make better decisions next time around:

- The kinect has a lot of inconsistencies, especially when it comes to depth data. There are some ways to make things smoother, but you’ll notice that there aren’t too many examples out there that rely on the precise kinect depth values.

- Processing is great for prototyping. Cinder is great for the real thing. Processing helped me figure out what was possible and helped get me there relatively quick, but once I had a lot of particles on screen, things quickly began to slow down and make my processor chug. Once I moved into c++ and cinder, those same processes began to run much smoother.

- Having side projects is hard to keep up with when you have a 1 year old at home and projects to do at work. The is obvious, but not so much when you’re thinking about all the things you want to learn and explore. That being said, I’m still committed to learning and experimenting as much as I can once my first two priorities are taken care of. Who needs to watch crappy reality TV anyway?

I don’t consider this a final piece, but more of a really good proof of concept. Since this was my first kinect, cinder, and C++ project, a lot of the time was learning the capabilities and workflow. I’m obviously not a C++ expert and I know I have a lot to learn, but this was a great way to learn it. For the second phase of this project, I’d like to bring in some 3d textures and shading. Really give it a metal pin art look. I’d also like to smooth out some of the depth map noise. I know I won’t be able to nail that down perfectly, but I’ve read about some methods to smooth that out a bit better within the limitations of the current kinect’s resolution and camera positioning issues. The hope for this is to throw it up somewhere that it can be part of an installation that people can walk up to and interact with and cycle through to see the imprint of previous visitors as well.

To see some of the work in progress, check out my tumblr. Once I clean up the code, I’ll post that somewhere too.

Related Posts:
Project 1 – January 2012
January Kinect Project – Update 1
January Kinect Project – Update 2

  • http://www.treblehilight.com.nz Geoffrey Trossbach

    was just about to stop my reserach when I in the end found your site! THX !