For March, I’m going to work on a project that is overdue and will benefit myself along with anyone interested enough to read this. I plan on redesigning this blog that you’re reading right now. Finally.
When I first did the design of this blog, I was doing mostly flash work and just relearned how to correctly build a website from scratch. And by that, I mean building a website without using tables to place page elements. I was also working my way through figuring out how wordpress works. I was happy when I was done, but I knew that there was a lot to fix and improve. I also didn’t know if I was going to be into this whole blogging thing so I didn’t even bother to fix anything. Fast-forward a few years and I’ve rededicated myself to blogging regularly and I have experience programming in so many more languages than actionscript and have done another site on the wordpress platform that I’m ready to correct my mistakes and set up a blogging environment that I can be proud of. I don’t do nearly as much design anymore though, so I hope to get some input from some of the excellent designers that I’ve met since the initial design to help elevate this whole thing.
The goal for this month is to just work on the design part of this overhaul. The development will come later and I’m sure will span more than 1 month.
What I plan on doing includes:
- Making a list of what works and what I like
- Making a list of what’s not working and what I really don’t like
- Gathering inspiration to help in figuring out what I want this to be, now and in 2 years from now
- Figuring out a way that this blog will fit in with the rest of my online presence. For instance, I have a portfolio site that desperately needs to be updated too. So how does that tie in with this blog?
- Figuring out how to tie things in with any relevant social media outlets (showing twitter feed, tumblr posts, etc).
- Designing the fuckin thing
Whenever I start projects like this, I get so pumped at the beginning, only to be pissed at myself months later for attempting it. But it’s always worth it in the end. So let’s get pissed!